[PD] Lua + Pd + Gem = vertex dataflow (was Re: [psql] object hand-holding)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 22 20:17:58 CET 2007

I am curious why the vertex_array objects are disabled by default?
Shaders are not exactly easy to learn, so it would be nice to have
your vertex_array objects as a more accessible, visual alternative.

Mind if I enable them in Pd-extended?  Are they in a useful state?

.hc

On Dec 22, 2007, at 9:26 AM, chris clepper wrote:

> This is what the vertex_array objects basically do.  The
> vertex_model object opens up a .obj and then passes the vertex,
> normal, texcoord and color data to other vertex_ objects for
> processing.  The speed is pretty good - better than standard geos -
> but the better route is to use shaders.  Shaders allow for more end
> user manipulation than the vertex_objects could ever offer.
>

> On Dec 22, 2007 8:43 AM, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 01:25:21PM -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:
> >
> > >It would be way cool if gem was truly dataflow, with the [cube] or
> > >another geometry source at the top of the stack and then
> > >geometry/colour/texture modifiers all the way down until a [render]
> > >object. Imagine doing audio style filtering on geometry streams.
> > >One can dream I guess.
> >
> > Also imagine doing audio processing with the kind of flow that
> there is in
> > gemchains. Urgh!
>
> Forgot the attachment.
>
> Best,
>
> Chris.

----

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.