[PD] regression testing WAS Re: [psql] object hand-holding

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Dec 23 00:49:07 CET 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> - keep the tests as simple as possible, but not simpler
> one should be able to write a test fairly easily; i think shortcuts are
> most likely not needed most of the times (e.g. iirc, matju introduced
> several shortcuts in his unity-test frameworks to test for
> mathematically important concepts (like assosiativity of operations); i
> think it is way simpler to just program 3 tests manually instead)

I think that the tests for associativity are not going to be so useful,
but they're still a good practice in some way. However, my goal for
PureUnity was not just to make regression tests, but also invent a bunch
of superclasses for all the Pd builtins (and some externals) in order to
make a categorisation of objects that makes sense from the point of view
of how you use the objects: e.g. [timer] and [realtime] would be in the
same category not because they deal with time, but because the left bang
starts and the right bang stops and outputs a float.

> - allow fail-tests which have to return FAIL-state in order to success

How do you know that a method has failed properly?