[PD] PD on a DSP?

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Dec 24 12:50:26 CET 2007

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 03:14:42 -0800
"Spencer Russell" <spencer.f.russell at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I used a floating-point DSP could I port mainline PD? I guess that
> PDa has to emulate the floating point for the message passing, which I
> suppose wouldn't be well-suited to a DSP anyways.

Yeah that's the "problem". DSP instruction sets are rather different.
You couldn't just compile Pd, you'd have to extensively rewrite the
objects. And you would want to do it to take advantage of DSP capabilities.

A dataflow compiler for TMS32-- or Motorola 56-- DSP or whatever would be nice
and Pd could make a lovely front end for it. I don't think you'd get much of
the message domain stuff working usefully but for audio a small subset of
things like [z~], [phasor~], [cos~] and so on would be most of what you
need.

The problem then is that you'd be natively emulating what would run on the DSP
and it might not behave right.

Staying with the ARM is probably the way to go.

a.

--
Use the source