[PD] regression testing WAS Re: [psql] object hand-holding

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 24 16:42:41 CET 2007

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>>> - allow fail-tests which have to return FAIL-state in order to success
>> How do you know that a method has failed properly?
> because it returns the expected FAIL-state.

Why do you need this instead of having a test PASS when the test checks
that the error happened correctly?

> the problem is the same as "how do you know that a method has succeeded
> properly"

I think that pretty much anyone doing automated tests so far agree that
it's better to have just all tests be written in the positive way, so that
you don't have to ever exchange the meanings of PASS and FAIL.

> you need a-priori knowledge about the expected return state of the test.
> i usually do this by a discrimination based on the test-name. (prefixing
> "fail") e.g. "fail_blabla" will only success if it returns the state
> "FAIL" immediately or after a "WAIT".

I believe that this is definitely not a useful feature. I thought you had
something for helping error handling, but the way you describe it now, it
sounds like it doesn't actually help in any way.