[PD] Pd sets dirty flag on all parent patches when a child abstraction is modified

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 04:51:32 CET 2007

Is that a bug or a feature?
I use a set of patches with many iterations and child abstractions.

Editing a deeply embedded abstraction, then saving that abstraction
and closing the very top parent patch always results in a huge stream
of "Discard changes to this window?" dialogues that eventually crash
Pd (of course, that is most definitely a bug : ) ).

It doesn't make much sense to me that the dirty flag is set on the
parent - nothing changes in the parent's file when a child abstraction
is edited (though sure, its appearance might change if the child
abstraction was GOP).

It's even more confusing when I've been working on many patches and am
unsure if I actually edited the parent, or whether it's just this
behavior.

Can anyone give a reason why this happens, or should I file a bug report?

Cheers
Luke