[PD] Pd-extended + Ubuntu Gutsy generic kernel versus rt kernel

Daniel Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 17:57:22 CET 2007

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Interesting point here. Do you mean you edited the
> /etc/security/limits.conf even when running the non rt kernel and that
> it made things better than with the non-edited /etc/security/limits.conf ?

I already had realtime permissions enabled while using the rt kernel.

Yup, I basically was messing around trying to figure out why my
suspend/sleep was broken in Gutsy
when it had worked with the Live cd ... then I realized mabey its the rt
kernel I had installed and reinstalled the generic.
Of course, that fixed these problems and I tried pd + jack and noticed that
it also ran those really well ...
better then the rt kernel which prompted me to wonder if anyone else had
noticed this behaviour?  I thought
it was some bug with pd or jack, in that pd was giving me noticeable xruns
using the *realtime* kernel when in
using such a kernel in dapper, edgy, and fiesty was the only way to *avoid*
them.  I remember reading somewhere
that the Ubuntu kernel team has been integrating some of the realtime kernel
patches and enabling pre-emption to
keep the kernel fast for the whole "multimedia desktop experience" etc ...
and it seems that this works with realtime audio
in pd and jack, at least for me.

I also noticed that the realtime kernel has become more focused on *real*
realtime requirements like robotics, etc on the
ubuntu page, dont recall the link off hand.

On a side note, merry christmas boys and boys (are there any girls on the
list?).  My parents just bestowed a solid state
harddrive upon my performance computer, so now I can bounce around without
worrying about physical disc crashes!
Happy nerdy xmas all.

--
Dan Wilcox