[PD] complex metronomes sequencing problem

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Dec 26 20:01:10 CET 2007

Hallo,
Libero Mureddu hat gesagt: // Libero Mureddu wrote:

> thanks for your message, it clarified a lot my problem.
> In fact I need a "time aware" synchronous system, could you send a
> basic example of that? I can guess that I need a metro plus counter
> and different [mod]s, but I dont get how to use [moses] and [change]
> for that.
>
> In another attempt that I did, I made a select with many arguments,
> each one representing a "playing point". Unfortunately it seems
> impossible to send a list of arguments as message and set dynamically
> all the values for set (at least I was unable to do that).
> [multiselect] that should do that is broken.
>
> Do you have an example of the sample timing based idea that you
> mentioned? In fact, the compositions I'm working on are not longer
> than 4-5 minutes.

The signal based approach Andy mentioned is in fact a very old one:
Old voltage controlled analog synthesizers were sequenced like that.
Miller's book has a little chapter on that "Audio signals as control"
at http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques/latest/book-html/node47.html
Its advantage is that smooth tempo changes are possible. A
disadvantage is, that syncing is a bit tricky because phasor~'s phase
inlet is not sample accurate, but operates on block sizes. And you
need to take great care when converting from control messages to
signals, so often you're tied to do signal sequencing all the time.

Another approach besides constant metro bangs and a global counter is
working with so called inter onset times. IOIs are the delay times
between two events. If the IOI between two events is 0, they happen at
the same time, if it is > 0, one comes first, the other later.
[qlist] works with IOIs but you can also build chains of IOIs yourself
using [delay] or [pipe].

With IOIs you can build irregular metros. The basic idiom there is to
"drip" or "serialize" a list of IOIs, either using [list-drip]
from [list]-abs or manually using variations of the idiom in
list-help.pd.

So assuming you have an IOI-list like this: "2 2 1 2 2 2 1", where
each number is the IOI in beats. Drip this list one by one into a [*
200]--[delay] where 200 is your beat length, and feed back the delay
to list-drip. You get a nice little pattern, which you also can change
through simple messages. Then the nice things come with the fact, that
you can do various list operations on the lists you use as patterns,
like reversing them of selecting random elements.  A lot of this stuff
is already implemented in the Rhythm abstractions of the Realtime
Composition Library (RTC-lib). IOI is called "entry delay" (ED) time
there, but it's the same concept.

See attached patch for a simple example.

Ciao