[PD] Performance comparisons!

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Fri Dec 28 00:44:28 CET 2007

Hi Mike,

Mike McGonagle wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has done any sort of "Platform" comparisons? I
> am in the market for a new machine, and was just wondering if there were
> any performance comparions for the various platforms for which PD is
> available.

More than enough stuff in the archives about this. My take:

I don't know anything about Windows, haven't touched it since 2002. I do
find that quite a bit of PD is either optimized for or developed with
Linux on Intel architecture in mind. You have the widest choice of
objects available and often running better than on any other platform.

Additionally, I run Gentoo and OSX both on a PPC Powerbook and
discovered long ago that patches running on the same machine and same PD
version are more than twice as fast on Linux as on OSX. There are
probably many reasons for this, the most recently-discussed one was the
interface with Core Audio.

If you're up to it, a Linux partition on an Intel machine (Mac or PC)
would be the highest performance way to go. That leaves a lot up to you
still.

best,
d.

--