[PD] Performance comparisons!

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 19:16:18 CET 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like Linux might be the best. I
have thought about getting an Intel Mac, but with the pricing compared to
other Intel hardware, the bang for the buck may not really be worth Apple's
prices. I still have some older hardware that is still very usable, and I
was thinking about creating a little PD farm, and try networking them all
together.
Thanks again.

Mike

On Dec 28, 2007 9:34 AM, bsoisoi <bsoisoi at mac.com> wrote:

> I second that.  If your main motivating factor is performance, Linux is
> the way to go.  I too run a dual boot Linux/OSX system on my 2nd notebook,
> and have found Pd patches running in linux to run with *much* less cpu
> load than OSX.  If you choose to use JACK instead of Portaudio on OSX, you
> can reduce their cpu load significantly (fyi, JACK isn't yet compatible with
> 10.5).  The Mac/Linux system is probably the best of both worlds + you can
> satisfy your OS X package needs with Darwinports (which rocks).
> As for windows, haven't used it for audio since 1999 and don't intend on
> going back.
>
> Do you have any other main considerations besides price and performance
> when looking for a new machine?
>
> ~Brandon
>

> On Dec 27, 2007, at 6:44 PM, Derek Holzer wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike McGonagle wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>

> I was wondering if anyone has done any sort of "Platform" comparisons? I
>
> am in the market for a new machine, and was just wondering if there were
>
> any performance comparions for the various platforms for which PD is
>
> available.
>

> More than enough stuff in the archives about this. My take:
>
> I don't know anything about Windows, haven't touched it since 2002. I do
> find that quite a bit of PD is either optimized for or developed with
> Linux on Intel architecture in mind. You have the widest choice of
> objects available and often running better than on any other platform.
>
> Additionally, I run Gentoo and OSX both on a PPC Powerbook and
> discovered long ago that patches running on the same machine and same PD
> version are more than twice as fast on Linux as on OSX. There are
> probably many reasons for this, the most recently-discussed one was the
> interface with Core Audio.
>
> If you're up to it, a Linux partition on an Intel machine (Mac or PC)
> would be the highest performance way to go. That leaves a lot up to you
> still.
>
> best,
> d.
>
> --
> derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl :::
> http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista
> ---Oblique Strategy # 199:
> "What would make this really successful?"

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician