[PD] Performance comparisons!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Dec 28 19:28:29 CET 2007

One thing that stands out on the Mac OS X front is the fact that Pd
is using the double precision math functions even though Pd uses
single precision floats.  You can see it here:

http://pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net/pure-data/pd/src/x_arithmetic.c?
view=markup

Here's a previous discussion on this:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-01/006042.html

I don't think this would make a massive difference overall, but I'll
bet it would make a significant difference for any patch using sin,
cos, atan, atan2, sqrt, log, exp, fabs, or pow.  Anyone feel like
writing a patch to make ./configure set things up properly?

.hc

----