[PD] [OT] slightly: building audio computer with PD

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Mon Dec 31 18:40:02 CET 2007

For installations, I've always tried to make the computer as
"bulletproof" as possible. Usually, you have these guards or museum
assistants who simply turn everything off (often with one mains switch!)
every night, for example. You can make whatever documentation you want,
but you can also assume that the people at the museum/gallery won't read
it, and certainly won't log into your machine and type command lines to
get things running again! So the best system is one that takes care of
itself with minimal outside assistance beyond making sure the power is on.

So I made sure to mount all my drives read-only, and that everything
would start from a script on power-up. Having the whole operating system
on a Flash card/USB stick (again, no logging, read-only) is also quite
smart. In the case of the ITX boards, this is a fantastic idea, since
they are designed with this in mind and no drive means less moving
parts, less weight/bulk and less noise.

suggestions for museum installation, "pd patch startup at boot" and
"autoboot in Linux" threads, there's lots there on autostarting PD.

best,
d.

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista
---Oblique Strategy # 99: