[PD] SQLdb V0.0 is posted

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 31 21:45:47 CET 2007

I took a look at it.  It is nice to be able to handle the results
right next to the query, but I find the send/receive as first
argument confusing.  I think the objects should use inlets and
outlets and then people who want to use send/receive could it
themselves.  I can understand wanting to handle the queries
separately from each other, but I think this can be accomplished
using standard Pd message handling methods (lists, [route], etc).
I'll try to come up with a working sketch soon.

I think that the database object could have a data and a status
outlet, like [hid].  Then the status info could all be handled
centrally wherever the single sqlite object, then data would be
routed to where it needs to go.  Real world examples would be good to
have now, I suppose we can look to see how people are using [pool]
and PDContainer, or even [sqlsingle] and the Max MySQL object.

About "addsemi" I am starting to think that it should really only be
there for specific circumstances and not for regular use.  I think
that if you execute a sql query by sending the data thru, it should
just use whatever is in the SQL cold inlet buffer and add a semi-
colon to it.  Also, I think it would be good to avoid using semi-
colons inside of the SQL in object boxes (i.e. like in the
[sql_query] example that I posted).  This makes each sql_query a
single SQL statement, which I think is quite clear, plus it could be
tricky implementing the semi-colon handling.

Anyway, those are some rambling thoughts. It's great to see progress
on this, hopefully we can get some people to try out the sketches to
see what actually works.

.hc

On Dec 27, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Mike McGonagle wrote:

> http://puredata.info/Members/mjmogo
>
> Hello all,
>
> Just wanted to let you know that I have posted the latest
> "findings" on this external... basically, it is set up with two
> distinct objects, one the represents the Database connection
> [SQLdb], and a SQL query [SQLquery].
>
> Please bend, fold, spindle, mutilate, or treat as any other piece
> of software. In other words, tell me what you think is wrong, and
> please be specific...
>
> Mike
>

> --
> Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires
> everything we have, every quality, every strength, every dream,
> every high ideal.
> —Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli