[PD] Mac OSX internal MIDI?

Dudley Brooks dbrooks at runforyourlife.org
Fri Jan 4 20:26:21 CET 2008

Mac (and PD) newbie question:

I have PD on a Macbook Pro with MacOSX 10.4.  I have no external MIDI
equipment and no software synth (not yet, anyway).  Another application,
Sibelius, shows a playback device called DLS Music Device with the
General MIDI sound set.  I was informed by the Sibelius list that DLS is
an internal Mac playback device (possibly the Quicktime synth, or is
that yet another playback device?), but that it is only appears in other
applications if they have explicitly built in support for it.

Can I get PD to recognize it?  If so, how?  If not, what are my other
options?  Thanks.