[PD] MIDI on Win XP

Patrice Colet pat at mamalala.org
Sun Jan 6 14:43:56 CET 2008

  From what I've understood in the link I've posted in this thread, you
have to add audio and MIDI latency, to get the result of the delay you
get with all the sound hardware.

  One thing I didn't figured out in this topic is that if MIDI latency
is almost about one second when audio is on, then the audio latency must
be be nearly this high latency as well, unless the amount of MIDI
information is huge.

  Sorry if I'm picky on importance to know exactly how far the
informations are delayed, I've been passing a kind of war in the
computer just to get a few milliseconds in the PD processes, by
reviewing how the objects [trigger] and [until] are used all along the
application.

  Another point I've been thinking of that only concern latency and not
MIDI nor XP, is that the player must have one meter latency (about
1000/320) if he do play with headphones, so 3ms would be perfect.

  With OSS driver on linux the delay goes above 5ms. I've got this
result with dividing by two the output of [timer] with the two inlet
connected to MIDI in and out.