[PD] per-pixel time based(with memory) effects, is it possible with fragment shaders?

Batuhan Bozkurt batuhan at batuhanbozkurt.com
Mon Jan 7 07:04:40 CET 2008

This is a very elegant solution for a delay effect I should say. I've
never known something called "3d texture" exists but it completely makes
sense. I've searched through documentation and the list for gem support
for such thing but no luck yet. But thanks for the shader and the idea
anyways!

The problem here is that, I actually need a more generalised framework
of working with time and past frames(or pixels) when dealing with time
based effects. This vertex shader approach with 3D texture and a 2D map
probably would not help let's say, if I wanted to use an averaging
lowpass filter(depending on past pixel values) to the R G and B values
of each pixel seperately.

I'd like to know if there is any way to hold values back in buffers(like
arrays) on shader level and make operations on that data by shader
programming. So maybe I could say "get current value and average it with
the previous value and set it as the new current value" or something
like that. If there is a way, than I'd like to dig more deeply into it,
but if this question looks very stupid than I'm probably getting the
concept of graphics pipeline and purpose of shading language completely
wrong so maybe I should stop wasting time on thinking like this and try
to find other approaches.

BB