[PD] gem: can't load library

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jan 8 09:17:06 CET 2008

hi again

Agent Engram wrote:
> well I thought I did have one, its called gcc.
>
> http://directory.fsf.org/project/gpp/
> g++ is the traditional nickname of GNU C++, a freely redistributable C++
> compiler. It is part of gcc, the GNU compiler suite, and is currently
> part of that distribution.

hmm, gcc != gpp
c++ != cpp

"gcc" stands for the "gnu compiler collection" and the "gnu C compiler".
the former contains the latter (and probably a bunch of others, like a
c++ compiler); however, the former is usually not a single program but a
  collection of programs.

anyhow.
what i _did_ suggest was: google "edora g++"

the 1st hit i get is "Fedora: g++ install problem", the 2nd one is "g++
missing! - Linux Forums", the 3rd one is "Please help me to install g++
compiler on Fedora 6 - Linux Forums".

ALL of these results tell me one thing: you have to install the package
"gcc-g++" to get a c++ compiler.

that is:
# yum install gcc-c++

> [root at aalto]# rpm -q gcc
> gcc-4.1.1-51.fc5
>
>  >what you do need is a c++-compiler.
> wierd I thought all I would need is gcc, which i thought *was* the GNU
> cpp compiler, so are you saying it isnt? I do have gcc, but configure
> doesnt look for gcc...only a bunch of c++ compilers that I am not very
> familiar with like RCC and FCC, why wouldnt it look for gcc? is there
> something i need besides plain gcc?
>
> [root at aalto]# yum search g++

there might be a problem with "g++" being interpreted not literally but
as a (broken) regular expression. so yum does not find it.
this is either because yum is buggy, or your use of "yum search" is illegal.

mfg.adsr
IOhannes

PS: probably there are reasons why people stick to debian rather than
fedora :-)