[PD] [OT] Bass driver unit

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jan 8 14:10:11 CET 2008

They might have been electrostatic blocks?
Basically a big piezo crystal that expands, as used in some
camera focus controls. You need a well regulated high voltage
to operate them though. I've never seen anything like that as
a bass driver. For ideas to experiment you could check
out servo operated bass drivers and the acoustic wave cannon design.

http://www.servodrive.com/basstech7.html
http://cardhouse.com/x09/wave.htm

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:55:50 +0900
PSPunch <shima at pspunch.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would first like to apologize that this is totally unrelated to Pd.
> However I figured that this list is the most likely place to find an
> answer among the communities I subscribe to.
>

> Years ago I used some driver units to playback super low frequencies,
> down from the inaudible up to probably 100Hz at most.
> It was more like a chunk of steel designed to mount on any surface
> expecting it to resonate. These units were also very inexpensive and ran
> for 10s or 20s of US dollars I think.
>
> Today when I search for driver units of such kinds, all I can find are
> ones which look more like speaker cones and not exactly what I recall.
>
> Does anyone know of where to look, or keywords pointing to such
> products? and hopefully places I can purchase them online?
>
> BTW, of course the goal is to drive some of these using PD, inspired by
> Roman's work using solenoids  :)
>
> --
> David Shimamoto

Use the source