[PD] poor performance when saving an abstraction when many copies are loaded in a patch

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 11:57:50 CET 2008

> in some patches i need to have hundreds of copies of the same
> abstraction.  to save just one copy of the abstraction would only take
> a fraction of a second, but when i have many hundreds of copies, pd is
> really stumbling to get these abstractions all renewed to the new
> saved version.  it seems to be some kind of bottleneck situation,
> where the time taken to re-initialize these abstractions together is
> much longer than it would be to initialize them all seperately.

I not only experience the slowdown in that situation, but often even
memory corruption or something: nonsense error messages such as
".x8972383 no such object" (or something like that: can't remember
exactly), and sometimes some patch windows is closed that shouldn't
be.
Often the MAIN patch window is closed, i.e. disappears, so when I
close any other open window, there's no open window left; then I quit
PD and magically the main patch appears again, and it asks me whether
to discard changes!!! (so I say "no" and that's the only way to have
the patch appear again without quitting pd).

All this happens when saving an abstraction which is used multiple
times in an open patch... and in my case it's not hundreds of times
but just tens of times.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com