[PD] poor performance when saving an abstraction when many copies are loaded in a patch

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jan 10 14:27:15 CET 2008

Hallo,
matteo sisti sette hat gesagt: // matteo sisti sette wrote:

> Using and reusing a great number of abstractions with many many levels
> of nesting is the only reasonable way (I can think of) of developing a
> large, complex, scalable, reusable "application" in PD.

I do agree with that, but I also would say, that with carfully
designed and implemented abstractions it shouldn't be necessary to
change them in a situation when hundreds of them are in use. Instead
in a perfect world, an abstraction is built and tested thoroughly
beforehand, with a *-help.pd file, and then it stays how it is when
building larger applications. (A kind of bottom-up approach.)

Of course the world isn't perfect.

Another possible remedy: Especially with dsp-abstractions it can help
to disable audio before saving a multi-use abstraction.

Ciao