[PD] poor performance when saving an abstraction when many copies are loaded in a patch

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jan 11 19:55:38 CET 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, matteo sisti sette wrote:

> You can convert just SOME of your functions to macros - I'm no C++
> expert but I guess you can do that with very "small" functions. You'll
> do it in a few special cases to optimize very critical portions of
> code, you can't adopt it as a general programming practice and convert
> MOST of your functions to macros, and many of them you simply can't
> convert. Anyway, you wouldn't accept to be obliged to do that just
> because C++ doesn't handle function calls well.

Using macros for speed optimisations is pretty much obsolete nowadays.

The only kind of reason you'd use macros, is because C++ doesn't handle
function calls well. Oh, most of the time it does; but it refuses to
consider data types as being values. That's where I use macros instead.
Nowadays, I even pass macros as arguments to macros.