[PD] poor performance when saving an abstraction when many copies are loaded in a patch

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jan 11 22:05:39 CET 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> the only thing i can find is you demanding parent and child
> objectclasses sharing the same $0.

no, i asked that objects share the same $0. objectclasses themselves don't
have a $0.

> i don't understand how this relates to inheritance of classes (rather than
> instances)

I've never spoken about inheritance among instances themselves.

The idea is that you want to include the behaviour of a superclass into a
class, because that's what the concept of superclass is about. Because the
behaviour of an abstraction is in the patch of that abstraction, you need
to load both the patch for the superclass and the patch for the subclass
and connect them together. Inheritance requires that both those loaded
parts are considered as one instance. If you give them separate $0 values,
then it's not inheritance: the usual name for that is then «composition»,
and it's the normal way of doing pretty much everything in pd.