[PD] counter + list of objects

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jan 12 00:19:48 CET 2008

Quoting Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>>> 10 FOR X=1 TO 100
>>> 20 PRINT "WHAT ABOUT BASIC?"
>>> 30 NEXT X
>> this is not a built-in counter, this is how you would write a
>> simple counter in basic.
>
> Frankly, I don't understand the difference. I mean FOR/NEXT, I don't
> mean the exact code I wrote above.

right.
in Pd this would be

[100(

[until]

[print]

period.

>> apart from that, it does not fulfil the marius' requirement of
>> doing "more than just adding numbers."
>
> I don't care, it's not what I was replying to. I was only replying to
> the part of the mail that I have quoted. You seem to be disregarding
> that.

indeed. but "so what"?
sorry if i was inaccurate about what you replied to, but the original
question was about having a counter that does "more than just adding
numbers".

if somebody asks about strings, i would consider the following anser
inadequate:

[this is a string(

[print]

>> iteration; but then, a counter that does not do anything but
>> increment an accumulator would be of _very_ limited use
>
> You don't need to assume that I mean only the above three lines of
> BASIC code, instead of FOR/NEXT.

i have not questioned this. i only tried to stay on safe ground...

> I don't speak that language.

it's a pity, as it is a very nice language (though not turing complete).
i have written a very simplistic implementation in Pd:
http://puredata.info/Members/zmoelnig/hq9

(i think the standalone 99-bottles-of-beer is broken; but it is fixed
in the HQ9+ interpreter)

mfga.sdr
IOhannes