[PD] Using GEM for a music visualizer

Ross Mulcahy ross.mulcahy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 05:04:59 CET 2008

Hey all,

I am trying to use GEM (on OSX), in particular pix_kaleidoscope, to
manipulate an image in real time based on a wav file currently playing
from an array. It is meant to be a very basic visualizer which needs to
be "wound up", i.e. periodically the music runs out like a wind up music
box and the user must rotate the mouse around the screen and click the
screen for the visualizer to continue!

OK now here is the problem when i call pix_kaleidoscope and it starts
manipulating the image it starts using up 50% of my processor and the
music gets all jumpy and the image changes are not smooth at all. Is
there a way around this or a simpler, less processor hungry, method of
manipulating the image for the same visual effect?

I have uploaded my patch to the following address for your perusal:

http://www.thehappydude.net/audio5.pd

If anyone could lend me their experience here it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

R.

By the way I only started using PD in November so my knowledge is limited!