[PD] Using GEM for a music visualizer

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sun Jan 13 14:18:59 CET 2008

Hi Ross,

Running GEM and PD for audio in the same instance isn't such a good
idea. Better to keep the threads separate. Normally, if I want to use
both together I run two different instances of PD, and communicate
between them with OSC. One for the GEM and one for the audio. On OSX,
you may have to start each PD instance from the command line:

/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd --noaudio --open
<GEM patch>

/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd --nogui --open
<audio patch>

should do the trick for with PD-extended. You could use the --nogui if
all the controls are in the GEM patch. You could even make a shell
script which opens both instances at once, with their respective patches.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista