[PD] counter + list of objects

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Sun Jan 13 18:40:31 CET 2008

Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:
> I know Pd-E does this to be as easy as possible to set up for new
> users, but at the same time perhaps it is best that a new user sticks
> with the vanilla objects anyways, and if they're really interested in
> more objects, they can learn how to use the directory prefixes or

several people i've talked to are used to using Max this way:

1) buy Max
2) download awesome super rad pre-made patch
3) open awesome super rad pre-made patch + be happy

i tell them, use pd, it's free!

so they

1) download Pd
2) download awesome super rad pre-made patch
3) open awesome super rad pre-made patch and scratch heads when it doesn't
work because they don't have particular externals

to ask this kind of user to 'stick with the vanilla objects' avoids the
fact that actually there are some (perhaps many) potential users of Pd who
use Pd/Max in the way i have described - ie they don't actually want to
learn to program properly, just learn enough to string other people's
pre-made super rad awesome patches together.

(incidentally this seems to be how a lot of people learn to code in the
days of open sourcey art code on the Intertubes - for example with
Processing, i've lost count of the number of times i've helped people out
who say they don't really know how to code, they just copy and paste other
people's (usually already quite complex) stuff and then fiddle until it works.)

damian stewart | +351 967 797 263 | damian at frey.co.nz
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz