[PD] counter + list of objects

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 04:49:48 CET 2008

Hm,
I don't think this is really about trying to force new people into
grappling with arcanum, or telling them "what's best", so much as it
is about what is actually best for Pd as a community, the benefits of
which will also touch new people.

If we want to encourage a large library of these premade objects that
are so useful to everyone, it's rather essential that they can be used
without causing a conflict, which is rather inevitable if the number
of abstractions and externals in Pd-E continues to grow without making
any changes.

If given the choice between A) giving an extra 30 seconds of
instruction (or 0, if everything is executed properly) to tell a user
to use [bloscs/saw~] rather than [saw~], and B), explaining to a user
that [saw~] is used in many libraries so it is no longer the [saw~]
they thought it was, and this new one has an entirely different
interface...

Users already have to use the help-browser to find new objects, and
again, if the help patches for said objects used the namespace prefix
when demonstrating usage, the user would not be troubled any
differently than they are now.

And also again, with the way things are, if the user discovered an
object like [saw~] in an abstraction, and wanted to find the rest of
these handy [bl-waveforms], they'd have to dig through the
help-browser.  But if they saw [bloscs/saw~], they'd know where to go.

Even in Cubase, my VST plugins are organized like "Filter",
"Modulation", "Delay", "Reverb", and by "manufacturer library" as
well, like "Waldorf", "UAD-1"...

Cheers
Luke