[PD] [OT] spectral irregularity to measure noisiness (was Re:about fiddle~)

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 21:36:56 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 18:48 +0100, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> > That's not actually a correct implementation of spectral flatness. What
> > you've done is more like the arithmetic mean of the log-magnitude
> > spectrum over arithmetic mean of the mag spectrum. Whereas the SFM is
> > the _geometric_ mean of the mag spectrum over over its arithmetic mean.
>
> Isn't the arithmetic mean of the log-magnitude equivalent to the log of the
> geometric mean of the magnitude? so if you reverse the logarithm after
> calculating it, as I did in my attachment, you obtain the geometric mean of
> the magnitude.

Actually, you're right! ... and that's a cool technique!

> I think this is the only way of calculating the geometric mean of such a
> large vector (or isn't it?), because actually computing the product would
> soon overflow the precision of a float giving either +INF or zero (even with
> no zero bin) (I had tried that first).

Also true. That's why libxtract uses double precision for the SFM
calculation, and why flib is deprecated ;-)

I just tested libxtract spectral_flatness() against your abstraction,
and the output is roughly the same. Even though it uses doubles, the lx
version definitely loses some precision. It's approximately twice as
fast though.

> Also, I may be missing something, but I think your attached patch only
> calculates the product and sum of the LAST TWO bins. Note you use
> [fexpr~ $x[0]+$x[-1]] and [fexpr~ $x[0]*$x[-1]]
> where I would use:
> [fexpr~ $x[0]+$y[-1]] and [fexpr~ $x[0]*$y[-1]]

Erm... forget it. I never could the hang of fexpr~ ;-)

> > The problem is that in order to obtain the geometric mean, you need to
> > ignore bins containing 0, otherwise you will get an overall value of 0
> > if there are '0 bins' present.
>
> Yeah here you are right. I didn't take care of that.
> Well, no, wait... I did. Using [rmstodb~]-100 for the log calculation, a 0
> bin would be clipped to a -100 log value, thus being computed as a very very
> small but nonzero bin.
> Not sure it is the most correct thing to do, but it kinda works.

I can't think of any major flaws in this method.

> > At any rate, both of the Pd implementations using [fexpr~] are horribly
> > inefficient,
>
> So horribly? I got a 4-5% CPU usage, which may be very much but I don't need
> to apply it to more than two or three signals.

Well if it works for you then that's fine. I don't believe in optimising
things for speed just for the sake of it.

On my machine I get 5-8% load for your abstraction, and 2-4% load for
xtract~, but if there's no problem, you certainly don't want to got the
trouble of installing a library, and an external just for one feature!

> > That's why I recommended Irregularity. It tells you roughly the same
> > thing, but is a nicer feature in terms of computation cost,
>
> I'll try that out and make some comparisons.
>
> However having a look at the formulas (if again i'm not missing something),
> it seems to me that it should have a similar computation cost: you still
> need to iterate over the vector, don't you?

Actually you're right.

I was thinking in terms of something that did:

gm = get_geometric_mean(...)
am = get_arithmetic_mean(...)

sfm = 10 * log10(gm / am)

But libxtract doesn't do that. I just did a small benchmark, and sfm and
irregularity_j are on a par, with irregularity_k about 30% slower.

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk