[PD] manipulation of text files - grep - shell - coll

robcanning robcanning at eircom.net
Sat Jan 19 10:22:50 CET 2008

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> robcanning hat gesagt: // robcanning wrote:
>

>> could anyone recommend a library for, or method of, manipulating lists
>> of strings in textfile format?
>> i need to be able to grep, sort, file etc.
>> up until now i have been using [coll] but its not powerful enough for my
>> needs.
>>

> What about an objectclass written in Python or Lua?
>
> Ciao

well my programming skills don't really extend far pass writing the odd
bash script but yes, writing an objectclass would be ideal (you mean a
pd objectclass?) any pointers on where to start with this using python?

i have been using [shell] to echo "$1">>"write this text to a file" but
i am finding it very slow (between 20-30ms) to write one line - i am
quite happy working with this method but am finding it way too slow - an
tricks on how to speed up the shell? - seems strange that is so slow.

thanks

rob c