[PD] Ergates music video

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Jan 21 06:45:32 CET 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 12:58:48PM -0600, chris clepper wrote:
> I like the white background.  How is the shadow done?

Use a separator to create two gem pathways and on one of them [scaleXYZ]
to 0 in the y dimenson and expand slightly in the x and z, and then color
everything black. I have an abstraction to do this automatically but it's
a bit fiddly and doesn't always work 100% correctly. You can see that
the shadows aren't "real" if you do certain things, like their size and
position should be dependent on the height of the geom, but they aren't.
With a vertex shader it would probably be much easier to do this still
of shadow and make it look good (e.g. set the y component of verticies
to 0 and then stretch the x and z componentents depending on the
original y value).

Best,

Chris.