[PD] phasor to square

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 00:20:34 CET 2008

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:27:35 +0000
Jamie Bullock <jamie at postlude.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 11:43 +0100, raul diaz wrote:
> > Hi Frank, list!
> >
> > Thanks for your suggestion about Miller's documentation, very useful!
> > I have taken a look to your [vosim] abstraction, very nice!
> > There is any abstraction with an implementation of fof synthesis?
> > I would like to play with vosim and fof techniques and compare both.
>
> There is a PAF (phase aligned formant) synthesis example in the Pd
> documentation (F.12 and F.13).
>
> PAF is related to, but not exactly the same as FOF
> (http://www.ircam.fr/288.html?&tx_ircam_pi2%5BshowUid%
> 5D=34&cHash=016189f3fb&L=1) although other than the implementation, I'm
> not exactly sure what the difference is. Anyone know?

FOF (formante onde function) is an additive method that uses a periodic
impulse and a bank of tuned resonant filters as exponential sinewave generators,
while PAF (phase aligned formant) is a modulation method that shapes a
sinusoidal function with a lobed window at a subfrequency synchronised
to the main oscillator. In FOF the partials are given explicitly by the
filter coefficients, but in PAF the sidebands are a result of modulation.
FOF has more in common with the vocoder while PAF is a special case
of general VOSIM (wave packet method).

> Jamie
>
> --
> www.postlude.co.uk