[PD] vline~ question

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 21:55:46 CET 2008

Haha this conversation is hilarious! Thanks for keeping it so lively everyone.

I may be suffering from Csound-itis. I want vline~ to basically act
like the linseg Csound opcode:

kr      linseg     ia, idur1, ib[, idur2, ic[...]]

Where each segment is defined as points in time connected by a linear
ramp. It seems easier to me mostly because it's the first programmable
linear envelope generator that I was exposed to.

Perhaps just making a [linseg~] abstraction out of vline~ using the
previous suggestions on this thread would suffice. I definitely do not
want to limit the sustain possibilities of vline~ as a sort of ADSR
envelope generator. I just want to do what Steffen said. After all
this banter, it's probably easier for me to just remember what the
third tuple is in the comma separated messages.

However, I don't think it's possible to make a playable ADSR generator
with vline~ using only one message anyway. I think that it would still
have to be somewhat hacked together using some triggers and delays etc
like the ADSR example that Miller included with Pd. Am I wrong here?

Thanks again for participating in the thread!

~Kyle