[PD] this is crazy

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 17:09:34 CET 2008

I noticed something similar on 0.40 (pure:dyne)

Something to do with DACs. I had a patch where the [dac~]
I was adding or deleteing didn't have any correspondence to
the signal it was (supposed to be) outputting.

Drives me insane, so I avoid that version now.

And it's intermittent/random/sensitive to initial conditions.
Sometimes a patch gets the problem, sometimes not.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:30:09 +0100
"matteo sisti sette" <matteosistisette at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Attached is a simple abstraction that contains an osc, a dac, a
> loadbang that triggers a random that sets the osc's freq, and a print
> that shows the frequency at loadbang.
>
> Now, do the following experiment:
>
> On a new patch, create an instance of [oscabs].
>
> Surprise! It doesn't sound! However it does print the frequency, so
> the loadbang was triggered.
>
> Now, create another instance of [oscabs] in the main patch.
> Surprise! The old one starts playing, and the new one is silent.
>
> You could go on like this: when you add the N-th instance, the N-1-th
> starts playing.
>
> Now suppose you have created 2 instances and only the first one is playing.
> Delete the first one: Surprise! The second one starts playing.
>
> Indeed, if you have N instances and the N-th is not playing, you can
> delete any of the first N-1, and the N-th will start playing.
>

> Now delete all and start from scratch.
>
> You create one [oscabs], it doesn't play.
> Now select it and do CTRL+D (duplicate) to create a new one.
> Surprise! Both start playing at the same time, the old and the new one.
>
> If I save the main patch, close and reopen it, all instances are
> playing, as expected.
>
> Can anyone explain this crazy behaviour?
>
> Testing with 0.40.1 on Windows XP.
>

> --
> Matteo Sisti Sette
> matteosistisette at gmail.com