[PD] sound for blender apricot opensource game

padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 20:53:26 CET 2008

I agree, and have more or less reached the stage where I could sound design
an entire small film in Pd.

Time is obviously a factor and if I were to do this it would really need
a few other volunteers who were enthusiastic about it (sound design for
such a feature could be a challenging project)

Anyway, what stuck me was something (I think it was) Dan James said about
Elephants Dream; - that despite the visuals being entirely FOSS
the soundtrack had to employ Windows/non-free components because of a
lack of reliable sound tools and skills. That reflects on us all rather
badly of course.

Let's say the Blender Apricot team were amenable to the idea and we could
reach a concensus to using the new film as a vehicle to showcase Pd, would anybody
else like to be involved in a sound design team using Pd 0.40 on 64Studio with
a Python interface to the event stream? Or maybe Lua would be our timeline/event glue.

I am of course open to other suggestions or to supporting another
team with radically different ideas, but this is how it would work best for me.

andy

> This sounds like a great opportunity for Pd, especially considering
> that Pd is the sound engine in the game Spore.

.hc

On Feb 1, 2008, at 7:09 PM, olme wrote:

> seeing this: http://apricot.blender.org/?p=59 , I had the idea that
> somebody could do it efficiently with generated sound dezign (like
> brilliantly discussed earlier here by andy - obiwannabe.co.uk )
>
> In short : Blender Instituut search for a sound designer for the
> upcoming opensource game codenamed "apricot".
>
> I'm in no way related to this instituut or project, just that I
> thought
> it could interrest someone that is developping on pd for games, as
> this
> one is already promised some exposure in the opensource/free software
> world, in the CGI world (with the short film produced right now : see
> peach.blender.org ) and in the game world (it will surely make some
> lines in game magasines) ...
>
> I think those working for this project "in the front line" are
> payed, so
> it could be a good incentive to have some kind of opensource
> exemple of
> a current game made with pd.
>
> Blender Game Engine has already been used with pd through py-OSC, but
> this project use the CrystalSpace Game Engine... I don't know about
> the
> connectivity, but as CS use python, it's maybe just some lines
> away....
>
> I would be interrested to see the result anyway ... as I'm not able to
> do it myself ...
>
> Ol.me
> http://www.ogeem.be

----