[PD] sound for blender apricot opensource game

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 3 03:11:18 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 20:04 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Yeah, I'd love to help out where I can.  I was really bummed that
> Elephants Dream didn't use FOSS for sound, I think they didn't try
> hard enough.  I've done a lot of very reliable installations using
> Pd, if it is good enough for the NY Times lobby, it's good enough for
> Blender. :)

it's not about reliability, it's probably more about workflow. i agree
with the makers of Elephants Dream, that it's hard to find FOSS software
for advanced sound editing. i speak from frustrating personal
experience. i've spent hours trying to find even only an appropriate
sound editor and it makes me sad to see, that so many people work on so
many different projects, but none of them is actually usuable in a
professional environment (and noone seems to want to bundle the energy
with others). i also noticed, that in the audio foss world some people
tend to stick to elitism and don't want to work on making things more
usuable (just hang a day around in #alsa). i don't want to generalize
that, but that was my experience outside the nice and friendly pd-world.
it's sad, but especially for mastering tasks i still have to stick with
proprietary tools on a proprietary operating system, since working with
foss tools is still way far from being as efficient as with the tools
that are usually used in studios. i am no expert in 3d world, but i
think that this doesn't apply to blender as much. it seems to me that
blender is a very advanced software. but back to pd: no matter how cool
pd is, you wouldn't want to use it to edit a radio jingle with many
layers to exactly a certain lenght with mastering (compressing/limiting
etc), would you?

roman