[PD] [OT] FOSS audio tools (was: sound for blender apricot opensource game)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 3 16:12:25 CET 2008

sorry, i accidently hit send, while i wasn't finished.

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 13:52 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> The actually drawing is accelerated by the graphics card already.
> However a tricky question that cannot simply be shovelled to the
> gfx-card (so easily) is how to decide which samples to display at all.
> For example when zoomed out, you don't need to draw every single
> sample. Ardour uses a sophisticated algorithm for deciding things like
> that, AFAIK. (IIRC Paul Davis once said that this was one of the
> hardest parts in Ardour to get right.) Compare that to Pd, which
> doesn't even bother with trying to be smart here, which results in
> slowdown when moving arrays with many elements, even when they are
> displayed in only a small area.
>
> All in all to me Ardour doesn't feel slow at all. Audacity OTOH is
> slow (and all around terrible for my taste anyway) as was the last
> version of SoundForge for Windows, that I had to run at work - though
> I admit that this was some years ago. But Ardour feels very snappy and
> quick here.

you're right, that it doesn't feel slow, however, whether it's related
to hardware acceleration or not, it causes peaks when simply scrolling
the timeline (no zooming). many linux softwares do that, whereas no
audio editor or daw for windows i know does cause peaks while scrolling.
so there is still room for improvements, whether it's hardware
acceleration related or not. and after all, ardour is a bad example,
since it's probably the best software in that respect and in terms of
usability.

> > - there is not audio editor around, that even loosely fulfills my needs.
> > probably the makers of Elephants Dream felt the same. Some of them lack
> > native jack support, others use very strange sets of shortcuts, or are
> > pretty raw in general.
>
> Uhm, while Blender certainly is great, you aren't seriously trying to
> tell me you really think its shortcuts are intuitive, are you?!? ;-)

no, but i wouldn't compare the complexity of sound-editing to the one of
creating animated 3D-environments. many softwares in the proprietary
world have proven, that sound editing can be easy, where at the same
time there is no (this is my personal opinion, of course) no usable
audio editor for linux around and yet no plugins or plugin architecture,
that would allow mastering. blender might be not easy to learn, but it
has proven, that it can be used for very complex projects as rendering
animated movies.

> Someone who mastered Blender should have no problems with Ardour,
> given he invests about a tenth of the time to learn it.

yeah

roman