[PD] sound for blender apricot opensource game

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 19:13:38 CET 2008

there is not much information in that posting, but I would like to
participate, no question.
what they look for is a *composer*. so no explicit need for soundFX or
"foley" sound art.
as olme already wrote in his original mail, the game will use the
CrystalSpace sound engine. the specs are:
Sound system:
* 2D and 3D sound rendering via DirectSound, Alsa, OSS and CoreAudio.
* Provides both one*time playing of effects and streaming playing in the
background for music.
so, not much space (yet) for pd, but probably space for music composed
with pd.
still, there could be a lot of space for pd in the future. a modular
game-pd could replace the sound module of the game engine or work
closely together onetime playing or looping is not a great challenge.
the 2d/3d sound FX could also be rendered by a modular pd patch in real
time (used like a vst-plugin) or many other fx (reverbs...)
plus, pd could also provide realtime rendering for sounds like footsteps
ambient sounds (rain, wind) and stuff like that. again, this would only
be possible if pd is included in the game engine or is modular and
flexible enough to get packed together with the game engine. and it
would need some good people who are able to create these sounds
synthetically.
once this is done, it probably will be a lot of fun and even provide
some paid jobs (hopefully!?).

marius.