[PD] [OT] FOSS audio tools

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 3 20:49:26 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 13:25 -0500, marius schebella wrote:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
>  > yo, those are just a few reasons why the makers of Elephants Dream may
>  > didn't want to go for FOSS for the sound part. i hope it's only a
>  > question of waiting some years, until the audio world gets to similar
>  > level as blender reached in the 3d world.
>  >
>  > roman
>
> Hmm, one more reason:
> elephant's dream was a blender project. some of the grant money went
> into core development of blender itself to adjust it to production
> features. one of the goals of the film was, to see whether blender would
> pass the "ready for a real film" exam.
> blender people just did not have the budget (and goal) to develop on the
> sound side, too.

yo, would be nice to see some development/budget going into audio as
well, since from my experience it isn't quite possible yet to do real
everyday audio work with FOSS tools.

> btw, blender forum has about 30.000 registered users. pd maybe 1000-3000???

where do you want to go with this question? i like pd, otherwise i
wouldn't use it. the fact that i like pd for what it is doesn't
automatically turn it into an audio editing suite and i am not
complaining about pd.

roman