[PD] sound for blender apricot opensource game

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 3 21:23:32 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 12:08 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Blender lacks some standard tools that all of the big ones have
> (Maya, 3D Studio, etc) and yet they made amazing animations with it.
> A core reason for that project was to figure out the problems with
> Blender in a production environment and work on improving them.
>
> It is a shame they did not take the same approach with the audio.
> The synthesis was done using Reactor, for example.  I think that Pd
> is pretty clearly a more capable real-time synth than Reactor, but
> yes, it's rough around the edges.

and it's also a decision about how much time you are willing to invest.
i wouldn't be suprised, if you come quicker to a satisfying result using
reaktor than with pd. for my personal projects the factor time hasn't
the highest priority, but it might have for projects like elephants
dream.

> As for mastering, I did a lot of work as a sound designer in Sound
> Forge/Windows back in 2000, and now I use Audacity.  Admittedly, I
> don't do super elaborate mastering.  I will say that Audacity could
> use more polishing and some efficiency tweaks, and a fancier GUI
> might be useful.  But bottom line, it gets the job done.

i disagree, but it would go to far to mention everything in detail. from
my experience, i _had_ to go back to proprietary world to get certain
jobs done. that's why i assumed, this might apply also to the makers of
elephants dream. without knowing what the exact reasons for their
decision was, i wanted to say, that i _understand_ them.

>  If the idea
> of the movie was to be a free/open project, I think it was a copout
> to use proprietary tools for audio.  Audacity now is better than
> Sound Forge was in 2000.  Lots of professionals were using Sound
> Forge in 2000, using Audacity now you'll be better off than them.

i like the idea of pushing development by funded projects. for their
next production it would be cool to see some effect from that on the
audio side as well.

prove me wrong, but i sometimes have the feeling it's more a question
about mentality than about resources.

roman