[PD] A Call for works / Appel d’oeuvres - Canadian 60x60
tazberry_docs at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 4 03:59:20 CET 2008
(Une version française est aussi disponible)
Call for Works for the first Canadian 60x60 Project (2008)*
Vox Novus, in collaboration with the Canadian Electroacoustic Community
(CEC), is inviting composers to submit recorded works 60 seconds or less
in duration to be included in the first Canadian version of the annual
60x60 project. 60 compositions will be selected to be played
continuously in a one-hour concert. The Canadian 60x60 concert season
will begin with a debut in Montréal and continue throughout Canada in
venues to be announced. Concerts may also include a visual component (a
clock, video clips, spectrographs, dance, etc.). The works will also be
broadcasted on radio stations and featured on a Sonus.ca dedicated
gallery. Please submit your recorded work(s) and submission form(s)
before 31 March (postmarked). You may submit your works online or on a
CDR; see submission guidelines below. Your work may be selected for
both the Canadian and the International 60x60 projects.
During the concert each of the 60 pieces selected will begin precisely
at the beginning of the minute, this will mark the end of one piece and
the beginning of another. There will be no pause between the pieces.
Works may be less than 60 seconds in length, but may not exceed 60
seconds. Selected works that are shorter than 60 seconds will be
"padded" with silence either before, after, or surrounding the
composition. Please note that the total duration of the work including
silence may NOT exceed sixty seconds.
The call is open to composers of all ages and career stages who live in
Canada, and to Canadian composers living in Canada or abroad. All other
composers may participate in the international 60x60 project (see below).
Any sound or music captured on recorded media, which does not require
live performers for its presentation in concert. The piece may be of
any style and may comprise electronic sounds, field recordings,
recordings of voice or musical instruments, or other sound sources.
Recordings of acoustic compositions SHOULD NOT be accompanied by musical
scores. Works submitted should be created specifically for this project
and must not have been previously performed or broadcasted.
More information can be found at:
http://www.60x60.yaeldad.com (Canadian 60x60)
http://www.voxnovus.com/60x60.htm (International 60x60)
http://cec.concordia.ca (Canadian Electroacoustic Community)
http://sonus.ca (SONUS, the CEC's online electroacoustic Jukebox)
1. Pieces should be submitted as uncompressed audio files (WAV or AIFF);
priority will be given to works submitted in a 24-bit format and a
sampling rate of 48 kHz (or higher); however, all works will be
considered. Name your files in the following manner:
Last name_First initial_Title of the piece (for example Doe_J_Untitled.wav)
2. Multiple works may be submitted, however, each work must be
accompanied by a submission form in an electronic format ONLY (DOC, TXT,
PDF) ; name the form in the following format:
Last name_First initial_Title_Form (example: Doe_J_Untitled_Form.doc)
3. For each piece, please include an Info document (DOC, PDF, TXT) with
a short biography and program notes (not longer than 100 words each);
name the file in the following manner:
Last name_First initial_Title_Info (example: Doe_J_Untitled_Info.doc)
4. Optional: If you wish to have your work included in Sonus, the CEC's
online Jukebox, please additionally complete the following steps. A
gallery will be created to feature works from the Canadian 60x60 project:
a. Fill out a CEC contract here: http://sonus.ca/contracts ;
b. In the "Contributor's Statement" section of the contract, please
select "for inclusion in Sonus";
c. Indicate in your 60x60 submission form whether a Sonus contract was
5. For each submitted piece, create a folder named in the following
format (Last name_First initial_Title) or a compressed file (ZIP, RAR,
ACE, etc) named similarly, which includes the piece, the submission
form, and the Info document.
6. You may submit your pieces online or on a CDR to the address below.
1. Upload each piece's folder or compressed file to the following FTP
Host name: ftp://yaeldad.com
User Name: canadian (all lowercase)
2. Send a an email to 60x60 at yaeldad.com with the following subject:
Canadian 60x60 FTP submission: Last Name, First initial, Piece Title
3. Alternately, you may make your compressed file available online at a
website of your choice and send an email to 60x60 at yaledad.com with the
URL to download it.
1. Burn all submitted pieces (a separate folder or compressed file for
each) on a single CDR.
2. All information should be included in an electronic format on the
CDR; do not send paper copies.
3. The CDR must be labeled with the composer's name and email address.
4. No material will be returned.
5. Mail your CDR no later than 31 March 2008 (postmarked) to the
CEC / Canadian 60x60
c/o Eldad Tsabary
Department of Music, Concordia University
7141 Sherbrooke West
Montreal, Quebec, H4B 1R6
1. Pieces will be selected by a jury of composers, sound artists, and
2. Selected pieces will be announced on 31 August 2008.
3. Email questions about the submission process and about the project to
Eldad Tsabary <60x60 at yaeldad.com>.
Name (Last, first):
City, Province, Country, Postal Code:
Performance Rights Organization:
(Optional) Signed a Sonus contract (yes/no):
More information about the Pd-list