[PD] optional argument in abstraction

João Miguel Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:33:07 CET 2008

ah, I thought you want to print "defaul_symbol" and not "symbol
default_symbol", that's why all the extra stuff around.

> great! the [sel $1] did the trick. otoh, the route symbol does not do
> anything... here is what I ended up using...
>
> [loadbang]
> [symbol $1]
> [sel $1]
>   |   |
>   |  [default_symbol(
>      /
>   | /
>   |/
> [symbol $1]
> [print]
>
> thanks, marius.
>

> João Miguel Pais wrote:
>> here's a dirty one, but works.
>>
>>> hi,
>>> I want to create an abstraction that can take an optional symbol as
>>> argument.
>>> if there is a symbol argument then use this, if not then use a default
>>> symbol.
>>>
>>> for example
>>> [my_print hello_world!]
>>> would print "hello_world!"
>>>
>>> [my_print]
>>> (without argument) would print "default_text"
>>>
>>> [my_print 0] or [my_print 123] would also print "default_text".
>>>
>>> I tried all variations of route, select, list trim, but could not get
>>> it
>>> to work. maybe I forgot something. or maybe there is another trick. I
>>> am
>>> using 0.40.
>>> marius.

Friedenstr. 58
10249 Berlin
Deutschland
Tel +49 30 42020091
Mob +49 162 6843570
jmmmpais at googlemail.com
skype: jmmmpjmmmp
http://www.puredata.org/Members/jmmmp
IBM Thinkpad R51, XP, Pd-Ext-0.39-2-t5, Pd Van 0.40-t2