[PD] overall horrible performance in OS X

bsoisoi bsoisoi at mac.com
Mon Feb 4 18:16:08 CET 2008

Hey guys,

This has been rehashed again and again, but it's worth bringing up
once more.

I've attached an example patch "sample-test-01.pd" and it's
dependencies.  On my dual core 2.4ghz Macbook Pro (4gb ram, 10.5.1, pd
extended 40.3-2007-12-07), I hit 21-27% cpu load

On my work machine, a 1.8ghz single core P4 running windows XP, the
cpu load is negligible (around 0-1%).

I've seen this pattern before, and I anticipate Linux users will
experience negligible CPU load as well with this example patch.  This
difference is pretty extreme, my notebook tests well on Geekbench and
other benchmarks, but why is the performance so poor with Pd?