[PD] [OT] New machine - sound hardware?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Feb 5 08:21:14 CET 2008

Hallo,
Ed Kelly hat gesagt: // Ed Kelly wrote:

> 1. Has anyone a working firewire (ieee1394) interface with their
> laptop that runs with low latency (<16ms, MIDI in to audio out)
> under Linux with PD? What is it and what driver (ffado? freeBoB?)

FFADO is the new name for FreeBoB.

> 2. What MIDI interface under Ubuntu? I have tried and tried again to
> get a Midisport 2x2 working with both the source code (both versions
> - 0.5 and 1.2) and the Ubuntu packages - no luck!

I'd recommend to get a different Midi USB device then. (Older) M-Audio
usbmidi devices were funky, better go with some Edirol or
ESI/Audiotrak devices.

> 3. USB audio interface? I know this is a long shot...ALSA has never
> worked with PD on any computer I have owned.

USB audio generally works fine, but again: avoid M-Audio USB audio
cards to be on the safe side. (However the the re-labelled midi
controllers by Evolution/UK which M-Audio bought some time ago are
well supported by Linux.)

For all things USB check www.qbik.ch for working devices. Edirol or
Terratec or so are well supported and good quality.

Ciao