[PD] pd thunder

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 23:11:39 CET 2008

You're spot on there. I will develop the stereo image as I work on
the environment model.

But interestingly enough, lightning _is_ an explosion, one hell of
a big explosion. The plasma is as hot as the Sun for an instant and
that's why the air expands, the energy in a lightning bold makes most
bombs seem like little fireworks. The difference is, and this is
unusual, it radiates in a cylinder not a sphere, and sound comes
from a simultanoeus extent (because the bolt moves at the speed of
electricity which is closer to the speed of light than the speed of
sound)

What I have is still a bit too much like Scooby Doo Castle thunder.
Having once been caught in a storm with bolts hitting a few hundred
meters from me I know from experience it sounds nothing like that,
it's a very difficult sound to capture synthetically.

The way I'm trying now is a kind of physical model, taking into account
thousands of tiny wavelets called N-waves that each come from a kink
in the lightning bolt - strangely (because of interference patterns
that cancel out) the shape of the lighning bolt has a direct correlation
to the sound.

cheers,
a.

--