[PD] Filtering Midi Active Sensing

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Fri Feb 8 15:01:01 CET 2008

Thank you for the suggestion, Simon,

unfortunately USB is not going to help me too much. I'm using a MIDIMAN
Audiophile 2496 soundcard with the built in (PCI) MIDI interface.
The machine is running on Linux (special slim version).

What I need is a signal to activate the audio engine once the computer
gets started out of hibernate mode.
If you go into hibernate mode with audio enabled and restart the
computer audio gets stuck. Enabling audio after restarting from
hibernate does the trick.
The only signal that's permanently present from the MIDI connection is
Active Sense. This way you can disconnect the keyboard, turn off audio
and restart with the the keyboard connected. Everything will get started
as expected. The Active Sense signal will turn on audio without you
having to touch anything.

I tried simply running a count down before going into hibernate but
unfortunately pd keeps counting even though the computer is turned off!
Strange!!!

But I also need Active Sense for the reason it was originally invented
for: preventing hanging notes in case of MIDI cable problems. I'm
working on a hardware instrument that's running with PD. So Active Sense
in the original way comes in handy.

Ingo