[PD] smoothing control signals

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Feb 11 11:41:11 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 22:43 +0000, matthew venn wrote:

> I'm a beginner with PD, and I'm finding it useful and frustrating in
> equal amounts!

yo.. before you get too frustrated, ask the list first (as you did now).
i'd assume that many people would be appreciative of your frustration
and therefore are willing to help.

> Right now I'm looking at ways to smooth control signals. I wanted a
> control version of [lop~]. I couldn't find anything in the docs,
> archives or the wiki. In the end I made the attached abstraction using
> [lop~] and [snapshot~]. I wonder if this is inefficient? Now all my
> patches need to have 'compute audio' turned on.

yeah, this is a bit inefficient, because it is not really necessary to
go into the audio domain.

> I'm sure I must have missed an obvious external or patch somewhere, as
> it seems to me like quite a useful function.

definitely it is. some people mentioned [line], which is probably the
most preferrable solution in the most cases. if you _really_ want to
have the behaviour of a [lop~], then have a look at attached patch,
which tries to imitate a [lop~] in the message-domain.

roman