[PD] *.lua => *.pd_lua or *.l_lua?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 11 22:31:56 CET 2008

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> I am not sure if I agree with your (frank's) point. wouldn't it be
> easier keep your pd searchpaths clean of non-pd related lua scripts than
> to put a fancy file extension on every script?

Not really: As soon as you start distributing things, you'd have to
bundle your helper modules anway and explain everyone to not put them
in their Pd paths. This would be even worse for Pd-extended: Where
should the non-pdlua Lua files go? How to add and manage Lua search
paths? It's a can of worms.

> anyway, I think 3 letters of file extension should be enough, *.pdl
> is shorter.

You need to use bittorrent more often. ;)

> or add an obligatory description statement somewhere in the first lines
> of the script so that pdlua recognizes it as a pd loadable lua script.

See my other mail why I don't think this is a good solution. And
actually it's already in effect: When a Lua file doesn't register
itself with Pd, it's not loaded. But Pd still tries to do so, which is
one thing I'm trying to avoid.

Ciao