[PD] sound for blender apricot opensource game

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 12 01:13:26 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Pablo Martin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Sorry guys i didnt see this thread before...
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner escribió:
>> By the way, is the Pablo Martin on the Apricot team caedes (who has
>> done some work with PDP)?
>>

> Yeah :). Thats why there is so much interest in using pd (also we got
> some emails already about people )... as i'm talking about it with
> people. Of course there is a lot of concern about some stuff, as we
> have
> huge todolist already, which is why i started a thread this morning to
> try get some feedback. My main concern is i have some experience in
> controlling  pd from some other programs (both games and vj tools)
> and i
> always wished to be able to control pd from program itself instead of
> its command line interface (which sucks :D), ie, use it as a real
> library. If people can answer my question and maybe even step
> forward to
> help (with the library thing), all the better. This is a great
> opportunity to do some cross publicizing of different tools.

You might be interested in IEM's xmlrpc library for Pd.  That will
give you an interface closer to a library.  We could use this project
as an impetus to get iemxmlrpc into Pd-extended, if it isn't
already.  Other options are OSC, and just using Pd messages over a
network socket (they are very simple format, anything ASCII ending
with a semi-colon and a carraige return).

It would also be a useful test case for steering the build system
towards making custom distros.  This would mean that Apricot could
easily use any Pd library that is included in Pd-extended, but we
could then strip out anything that isn't actually used.

I'll be in Amsterdam from April 30th until May 7th ish, I could meet
up with you guys for some face time, if that's not too late. :)

----

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste