[PD] *.lua => *.pd_lua or *.l_lua?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 12 01:34:00 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> (())_n wrote:
>> I like *.lua because editors recognize them as lua and are able to
>> parse the magic.
>
> You should be able to manually choose a highlight mode in any decent
> editor, regardless of extension, and some you should be able to add a
> default mode for extra extensions.
>
> It would be confusing if .pd files were called .txt, I think....

It would be.  But .pd seems good enough, we get along fine
without .pd_abstraction, .pd_patch, etc.  And Max/MSP's mxj seems to
work fine only using .java.  pyext seems to work well using
only .py.  There is nothing stopping anyone from making a .dll on
Windows with a setup function and sticking it in pd/extra.  If
someone tried to load it, Pd would make it's best effort, and the
setup function won't create any inlets or outlets, so it would just
sit there.

The reason why Pd has so many extensions for binaries is to deal with
binary incompatibility (i.e. an object compiled for PowerPC won't
work on Intel).  If you want to make support classes in a separate
lua file, I would recommend a subdir, like support/myfile.lua. That
would make things clear without having to create custom file
extensions, which will break all sorts of other things, like
automatic detection in editors, as well as creating an extra arcane
detail unique to Pd that someone has to learn in order to use pdlua.

.hc