[PD] sound device positions change after reboot > Pd uses wrong soundcard

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Feb 12 16:31:48 CET 2008

the answer to this question is related to alsa, not to pd. i would say
it is a bug, but alsa people seem to want their users to be forced to
edit a file in a (i think) quite sophisticated way.

the problem is, that the order the different kernel modules for each
card are loaded is different on each boot. however, there is a way to
predefine a certain order by editing the file:

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

i am too little expert to explain you in detail exactly how this is done
the correct way, but basically you first need to add some aliases for
each soundcard module, that will be loaded and then you define the order
by specifying an index for each module.

as an example you'll find my edited alsa-base file here:
http://www.romanhaefeli.net/alsa-base.txt

hopefully it helps you figuring out, how you need to edit yours. in my
file the devices are ordered this way:

hw:0 : my built-in c-media card (snd_intel8x0)
hw:1 : the hdsp rpm (snd_hdsp)
hw:2 : the sounddevice from the built-in tv tuner (saa7134_alsa)
hw:3-5: those are reserved for usb soundcards, if there are any
(someone from #alsa recommended to add those lines, because otherwise
usb soundcards wouldn't work properly)

roman