[PD] 0.40.1 look (fonts) in 0.41? Is it possible

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 12 17:38:41 CET 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 14:19 +0100, matteo sisti sette wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As I mentioned in an earlier unrelated message, I have just upgraded
>> to 0.41 and it seems it fixes some critical bugs that made my life a
>> hell.
>>
>> Now, something has changed in how GUI texts look like.
>> Probably it's just the font that is being used, I don't know if some
>> more aspects are involved (spacings, sizes...).
>>
>> I make extensive use of GUI, and now my patches made with 0.40.1
>> look horrible.
>>
>> Is there any way in WINDOWS to configure PD to use the same font that
>> was used by default in 0.40.1? Will it be enough to have the gui look
>> the same as it before?
>>
>> I attach two screenshots of the same piece of GUI as it looked in
>> 0.40
>> and as it looks now in 0.41.
>> Tastes are personal, but I don't really think anybody can honestly
>> tell it looks better in the new version...
>
> i have the impression, that it might be only a scaling issue. the
> appearance of fonts in pd is still an issue and, afaik, currently in
> focus to be fixed. that is probably why patches look different in
> different versions of pd. i think, it would be best to _not_ rely any
> particular appearance these days. once all those issues are fixed, it
> should be possible to get the same appearance by using a different
> fontsize.

The pixel and font sizes are now exactly the same size on all
platforms using Pd-extended 0.39.3 as was demonstrated by lots of
testing.  I am committing to maintaining that in future versions,
regardless of what happens with pd-vanilla, since I think it is
essential to GUI design and patch layout.

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic